Thursday, September 1, 2011

Something Random I Wrote Today

Today we were discussing the lost colony of Roanoke in my English class. For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, there were some settlers on Roanoke Island before the pilgrims settled at Jamestown, Virginia. My professor gave us three minutes to free-write about what we thought might have happened to the settlers that vanished. I didn't end up deciding what I thought happened, but I thought I would share with you what I did write:

"Ellen! Grab James--they're coming!"

Ellen glanced at the terrified face of her husband John. "But what of our belongings?"

"There's no time. Leave everything."

She grabbed her two-year-old son from the floor where he sat playing. He screamed his outrage at being disturbed. "Keep him quiet," John ordered.

Picking up James' favorite toy, she handed it to him and the child quieted. They ran for the door and opened it to find devastation.


So, what do you think? Should I continue this? Any theories as to what happened to the lost colony?

© Brea Essex 2011 ~ No part of this site (written or artwork) may be reproduced in anyway whatsoever without express written consent by Brea Essex.

No comments:

Post a Comment