Sunday, December 25, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: New Traditions, Same Family with Joselyn Vaughn


Merry Christmas! Today is officially the last day of 25 Days of Christmas. Awww. But it's not over yet! Please welcome Joselyn Vaughn!

Joselyn:

When I saw that Brea would be posting my blog on Christmas Day, I panicked. What could I write about for Christmas Day?  I haven’t been looking forward to the holidays because this year all our celebrations will be different. My brothers and sisters and I won’t be able to gather at my mother’s on New Year’s for our traditional oyster stew, chili and chicken noodle soups because my mother has moved to a new place and the old place is completely gone. And so all our traditions will be a little new.

But the place isn’t as important as the people.  The same family will be able to search for seats around the tables and we’ll still have to count the plates and people a dozen times before we get the math to work. (You’d think that would be easier with the number of engineers and math majors in my family, but we always seem to be one seat or plate short.) The guys will camp out in front of the television, arm-chair reffing their favorite teams  and the girls will crowd around the table as Mom deals out the Flinch cards and complains about everyone stacking their deck.

We will still be able to enjoy the time no matter where we are because we are together.

Wishing you and yours all the best whether you are celebrating old traditions or new.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me, Joselyn, that it's the people, not the tradition. Sometimes I get hung up in the trappings!

    Merry Christmas, you two!

    ReplyDelete