Friday, August 5, 2011

Fun Fact Friday: No Sophomore Slump


On Sunday, I typed the last words of the first draft of “Overshadow”. If you haven’t heard me talk about “Overshadow” yet, it’s my second book (book two of the Shadow Imperium series). I was even more excited and nervous about it than I was about “Foreshadow”, my first novel and the first book in the Shadow Imperium series. I was excited because I really wanted to continue Raena, Logan and Andrei’s story. I was nervous because it’s my second novel. I had a hard enough time completing the first one. Could I do it again?
I’ve heard it said that a lot of people want to write a book, but very few (2%, research says) actually do. Even fewer complete a second book. Some do, but the second book just isn’t quite “as good” as the first. They call this the “sophomore slump”. Granted, no one has read “Overshadow” yet. Even my beta reader hasn’t finished it. I don’t know if it’s any good. I hope it is. All I know is that I had a lot of fun writing it, and I cried when I finished it.
It probably makes me sound crazy to say that I cried when I finished writing “Overshadow”. I didn’t cry because it was over. I cried because I got so caught up in Raena’s emotions that I felt as though I were experiencing everything with her. She’s become so real to me. If that makes me crazy, so be it. I’d rather be a little crazy if it means I’m able to bring readers a believable character.
“Overshadow” is far from being done. It still needs editing and expanding. This was just the first draft. I’m already outlining book three, tentatively titled “Queen of Shadows”. I’ll probably cry when that one’s done too. Hopefully by then, you will all be able to follow Raena’s story with me. I hope you love her as much as I do.

© Brea Essex 2011 ~ No part of this site (written or artwork) may be reproduced in anyway whatsoever without express written consent by Brea Essex.

No comments:

Post a Comment