Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Why I Love Wednesdays . . . Why I Love Adrian Ivashkov



Today’s Why I Love Wednesdays post is about a misunderstood character. Now, I know I’ve been posting a lot about various epic fantasy books/characters lately, so I thought I’d deviate from that and talk about a YA character that I love.
My first thought was to post about Logan or Andrei from my Shadow Imperium series, but seeing as that series isn’t out yet, I thought I’d go with a character a little more familiar to some people: Adrian Ivashkov from the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.
Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Dimitri, but I’m totally Team Adrian. If you’ve read my blog much, you know exactly how I feel about those boys who are full of themselves, but really have hearts of gold.
If you haven’t read the Vampire Academy series yet and plan to, or if you haven’t finished the series, you might not want to read the rest of this post. I might get a little spoiler-y.
Adrian first appeared in the second book of the series, Frostbite. While his clove-smoking, alcoholic ways aren’t exactly endearing, his confidence certainly is. I don’t know what it is with me and these “bad boy” characters—my husband is definitely not like that. Never has been.
I love the way Adrian pursues Rose, even though it’s frowned upon in their society—a Moroi (living vampire) dating a Dhampir (half vampire, half human) is just not done. He doesn’t care what society thinks, especially his parents or his aunt (who is the queen). He also doesn’t care that Rose is in love with someone else. He wants her anyway.
The series ended with me feeling extremely sorry for Adrian. He fought so hard for Rose and lost. I can’t wait to read the spin-off series, Bloodlines. I’ve heard rumors that Adrian’s in it and I hope he finds someone even better. After all, who wouldn’t love a sarcastic guy who can sneak into your dreams and loves so much that he’s willing to go against everything he knows?

© Brea Essex 2011 ~ No part of this site (written or artwork) may be reproduced in anyway whatsoever without express written consent by Brea Essex.
*Disclaimer: I do not own the photo used in this post.

4 comments:

  1. I write for the adult market, but I read YA as well. This character sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't you hate when they fight for someone and lose?! It is so much like life I guess, but it is so rare in books that it is so endearing. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been acquainted with this character but something tells me I should and soon. So I'll have to put The Vampire Acadamy books on my TBR list. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian is absolutely great...even though he isn't really perfect..I love dimitri but I guess he's too perfect to be real....I really hope Sydney and Adrian make a couple..though with Sydney's 'beliefs' about the vampiric world...it seems to me that that's not gonna happen anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete